Dental cavities post a problem of possibly having tooth decay. Cavities occur in the teeth when the plaque damages the enamel of the teeth leaving the inner part of your tooth exposed. It is important that you and find a dentist right away if you suspect or know for a fact that you have cavities. When these are not treated immediately, it can cause you much discomfort and pain. There might also be other serious complications when the cavities are not treated. Most dentists have a procedure on how to treat cavities. If there is a new procedure you heard about and you want to try it, you can visit their website and find out if they offer this kind of service. Websites like the fallschurchdentalcenter.com/ are there to help you get more information about them so that you can be more confident in trusting them with your dental health.
How Do You Treat Cavities
Once your dentist discovers that you have cavities in your teeth, he or she can remove the decayed tissues in your tooth and replace it with a dental filling. The dental filling will protect the inner part of the tooth so that it will not be exposed. Exposure of the inner part, where the nerves are found, can lead to tooth ache that may be unbearable for some. When the cavity needs to be removed, a local anaesthetic will be applied to help numb the tissues surrounding it. A drill specifically used for dental purposes can help removed the decayed or damage part of your tooth. Newer methods of using laser therapy to remove the cavities can also be used.
Kinds of Dental Fillings
Now that the cavities are removed your tooth needs to have dental fillings so that it can protect the inner layer, properly function in chewing and prevent further damage to it. There are several kinds of dental fillings and they are listed below.
- Amalgam fillings – These are the fillings that have been used for more than 100 years and they are still used today. This is a combination of silver, copper, tin, mercury, and other metals, which give the silver color. Due to the presence of mercury, many are not comfortable with it. Although the FDA said that it is safe, people are still having second thoughts about it.
- Composite fillings – These fillings are similar with the color of your teeth. They are made from quartz or glass resin and are more natural looking than the amalgam. They are a bit pricey as compared to the amalgam and they can also become stained after many years of use.
- Glass ionomer fillings- These also come in the color of your teeth and they are made of glass with acrylic. They are what most dentist use to fill your cavities but they are not as durable as amalgam and composite fillings.
- Resin ionomer fillings – These are also natural looking and they are also made of acrylic and glass. They are used for filling small cavities as well as root surfaces.
- Custom-made restorations- These can be made from porcelain, gold, and other metals. These are very durable but they can be very noticeable.